Protecting the privacy and confidentiality of personal information is an important aspect of the way Port Credit Yacht Club conducts its business. Collecting, using, and disclosing personal information in an appropriate, responsible, and ethical manner is fundamental to Port Credit Yacht Club’s daily operations.
Port Credit Yacht Club strives to protect and respect personal information of its members, employees, business partners, and so on in accordance with all applicable regional and federal laws. Each staff member of Port Credit Yacht Club must abide by this organization’s procedures and practices when handling personal information.
Personal information is defined as any identifying information about an individual or group of individuals, including name, date of birth, address, phone number, e-mail address, social insurance number, nationality, gender, health history, financial data, credit card numbers, bank account numbers, assets, debts, liabilities, payment records, credit records, loan records, opinions, and personal views.
Business information is defined as business name, business address, business telephone number, name(s) of owner(s), executive officer(s), and director(s), job titles, business registration numbers, and financial status. Business information is treated and handled with the same level of confidentiality, privacy, and respect as personal information.
Consent occurs and is obtained when an individual signs an application or other form containing personal information, thereby authorizing Port Credit Yacht Club to collect, use, and disclose the individual’s personal information for the purposes stated on the form or in the Appropriate Use section of this policy.
Port Credit Yacht Club collects and uses personal information solely for the purpose of conducting business and developing an understanding of its customers. Port Credit Yacht Club hereby asserts that personal information will only be used for the following purposes:
1. Port Credit Yacht Club assumes full accountability for the personal information within its possession and control. This organization has appointed Suzette Newton as custodian of all privacy matters and legal compliance with privacy laws.
2. Port Credit Yacht Club obtains personal information directly from the individual to which the information belongs. Individuals are entitled to know how Port Credit Yacht Club uses personal information and this organization will limit the use of any personal information collected only to what is needed for those stated purposes. Port Credit Yacht Club will obtain individual consent if personal information is to be used for any other purpose. Port Credit Yacht Club will not use that information without the consent of the individual.
4. Port Credit Yacht Club will retain personal information only for the duration it is needed for conducting business. Once personal information is no longer required, it will be destroyed in a safe and secure manner. However, certain laws may require that certain personal information be kept for a specified amount of time. Where this is the case, the law will supersede this policy.
5. Port Credit Yacht Club vows to protect personal information with the appropriate security measures, physical safeguards, and electronic precautions. Port Credit Yacht Club maintains personal information through a combination of paper and electronic files. Where required by law or disaster recovery/business continuity policies, older records may be stored in a secure, offsite location.
7. In most instances, Port Credit Yacht Club will grant individuals access to their personal information upon presentation of a written request and satisfactory identification. If an individual finds errors of fact with his/her personal information, please notify Port Credit Yacht Club as soon as possible to make the appropriate corrections. Should Port Credit Yacht Club deny an individual’s request for access to his/her personal information, Port Credit Yacht Club will advise in writing of the reason for such a refusal. The individual may then challenge the decision.
8. Port Credit Yacht Club may use personal information without the individual’s consent under particular circumstances. These situations include, but are not limited to:
Port Credit Yacht Club will investigate and respond to concerns about any aspect of the handling of personal information. This organization will address concerns to the best of its abilities.
Updated December 30, 2011